Update on recommended professional indemnity protection
During recent months the SAOPA Board and management have consulted several experts and surveyed the market for suitable professional indemnity protection products. Several products were evaluated, and it was resolved that it would be in the best interest of SAOPA members not to continue with the existing group scheme. Consequently, we are pleased to announce that we have managed to conclude negotiations with an alternative provider of professional indemnity insurance to our members from 2020 onwards.
You can now look forward to enjoying the following benefits, brought to you by PPS Health Professions Indemnity:
- Lower premiums for 2020 than for 2019
- No co-payments or excesses on claims
- No individual underwriting for SAOPA members
- A three-month grace period to facilitate the transition from the previous SAOPA Group Scheme policy
- The convenience of paying premiums via monthly debit order or in one single payment if you prefer
- Retroactive cover provided to previous insureds under the SAOPA Group Scheme policy for incidences reported after 31 December 2019 that relate to clinical services provided between 1 January 2018 and 31 December 2019
- A quick and simple application process through digital enablement
- No hidden costs or commissions for you to pay
- Full legal compliance and regulatory protection
- Benefits exclusively available to SAOPA members.
It stands to reason that several transitional arrangements will be required, but we are working closely with PPS Health Professions Indemnity to make this as effortless and seamless as possible. We urge you to visit the SAOPA member portal to obtain all the necessary information, including full details about the PPS Health Professions Indemnity product.
Please note: The highly competitive PPS Health Indemnity benefits that have been negotiated exclusively for SAOPA members are not available to non-members. In particular, non-members will be individually underwritten and risk-rated.
Minimal increase in membership fee
More good news is that your SAOPA membership fee will increase by only 5% for 2020. This is lower than the average increase in tariffs payable to healthcare practitioners as announced by the major medical aids so far.
Easy membership renewal
The new improved membership renewal system goes live on Wednesday 11 December 2019. Your Board and management have worked hard to make renewal as easy as possible for you!
- We have simplified the process so you can apply and pay in one go – no more separate invoices and receipts.
- Prefer to pay your membership fees through monthly instalments? There is now a direct link to Mobicred for you to click on.
Exciting new member benefits
We are close to concluding negotiations on several exciting new member benefits. Watch this space for further announcements on the following:
- Competitive rates on point-of-sale devices
- Legal advice
- Labour consultants
- Practice management systems
- Personal financial planning and advice
- CPD activities and points management systems.
All of these benefits will exist independently of the SAOPA Board and management. As your industry guardians, we are putting the benefits in place. Ultimately, though, they belong to you as a SAOPA member. This means that any future change in SAOPA’s administration would not disrupt your benefits again, as happened in the recent past.
Securing a better future for SAOPA and its members
Our new Board and management are aware of members’ concerns about certain challenges that the organisation faced recently. We wish to assure you that we are in the process of resolving any remaining problems, as is evident from the achievements described above.
Please visit the SAOPA website at www.saopa.co.za to sign up or renew your membership, and help secure a better future for SAOPA and its members by paying your membership fees.